The cost for independent private tutors has always been hard to pin down. And while more students enroll today than ever before, many parents still struggle choosing between all their children’s teachers – especially when they need one who specializes in teaching specific subjects.
So how does tuition break down? How much does tutoring cost per hour? Is one tutor cheaper than another? In this article, I’ll share all these insights, along with some useful tips to keep you pointed in the best direction when searching for the best deal possible. But first things first:
Tutoring Costs & Payment Structure
In general, private lessons tend to run anywhere from $30-$90/hour depending on your city and location. However, there are several different ways that tutors charge and structure their services. Some offer hourly payment plans, others offer weekly packages, and others offer monthly subscription packages. There are even companies that provide “on call” lessons for families who require help during certain times of day or week.
How do I find a good tutor?
Finding a great teacher can sometimes feel overwhelming because there are so many options out there.
What Does Private Tutoring Cost?
There are plenty of websites and apps that connect tutors and students based on proximity, language skills, subject areas, and availability. Many students rely on these sites as a starting point to locate a suitable match. Once you have made contact, the relationship will determine whether you meet face to face for either one lesson or multiple sessions over time.
Regardless of which approach works best for you, the costs associated with tutoring need to be considered carefully beforehand. When planning ahead for tutoring, keep track of expenses such as transportation, materials, equipment used, supplies needed and any other incidental fees.
What Are the Different Types of Tutoring?
While there are many different kinds of independent tutoring services offered across Canada, each offers something unique and valuable. Some specialize in helping struggling learners improve grades and test scores; others focus more closely on specialized learning difficulties that may cause issues with reading comprehension, for example. However, even within broad categories like math and science help, tutors must decide among various options including group lessons, individual instruction, homework support, and extra coaching and advice.
Tutors can charge anywhere from $25 per hour to more than $100 per session depending on factors like experience, expertise and location.
While most tutors offer hourly rates so clients don’t feel beholden to paying large sums upfront, be aware of hidden charges and ask questions to ensure you understand exactly what you’re signing off on.
The following article provides detailed explanations of the four primary ways to arrange a tutoring session for your child or student.
- Individual Lessons: With an emphasis on one-on-one guidance, individual lessons allow students to receive assistance directly from their tutors, usually during scheduled appointments. These meetings might last 15 minutes or longer, depending on the complexity of the topic being covered. Most tutors provide feedback on assignments after each session too.
- Small Group Lesson Plans: When scheduling an appointment for more than one tutor, you can opt for small groups where everyone gets together for a full day of instruction. Depending on the number, duration, and nature of topics included, your tutors may teach in shifts throughout the day.
- Homework Support Sessions: While tutors often conduct regular classroom observation visits, it isn’t unheard of for students to visit them at home for additional one-on-one help. They’ll typically spend 10-60 minutes reviewing assigned material and providing targeted tips.
- Extra Coaching/Guidance Sessions: Sometimes it pays to go beyond traditional, one-size fits all approaches to studying or mastering a new concept. That’s especially true for students with special needs and challenges. In this situation, tutors might hold extended office hours to address concerns and review coursework. Or they might assign projects requiring extensive effort to ensure success.
Parent looks frantically at their child’s report card.
Why Suzy why?
Suzy: Mom, I’ll do better next time. * Looks to infer a suggestion of better performance on her next report card. *
Parents look unimpressed, as they motion to their private search assistant, Google, to save the day…
Aside: Back in the day I would have been grounded for two months for getting anything less than a B. But thankfully, for the most part, times have changed.
That said, students are distracted more than ever. Peer pressure, anxieties at home, and failures of the past keep students in a rut that few can get out of without some personalized mentorship catered to bring out the abilities and skill sets they never knew they had.
While that is one of the most common reasons parents and guardians look for private tutors, few know the costs associated with private tutoring, especially in 2022.
The Costs of Private Tutoring Services in Canada depend on numerous factors that are usually coupled together to determine a set hourly rate for the student in question.
Should You Choose An Online Tutor?
Finding an amazing tutor can prove difficult; however, there are definitely advantages of going to an online course instead of a face-to-face class. There are actually quite a few perks to learning via video conferencing rather than being physically present in front of your student. Below are five reasons why online classes offer great value and savings for parents and students alike.
1) Lower Cost: Instead of spending hundreds, thousands and even tens of thousand dollars on tuition each year depending upon how often you wish to attend face-to-face tutoring sessions at a traditional location, now you can simply log onto Zoom and enjoy virtually unlimited tuition for anywhere between $8-$50 per hour. Plus, online tutoring offers flexibility in scheduling, giving you added peace of mind knowing your schedule isn’t restricted due to conflicts with a face-to-face class.
2) More Efficient Course Curriculum: With a live session scheduled via online video conferencing, you won’t waste precious instructional time waiting around for others attending the same program. Furthermore, online courses provide flexibility allowing you to learn at whatever speed works best for you without sacrificing valuable classroom instruction time. This means less wasted hours studying boring topics only to remember little details months after receiving your diploma.
3) Less Hassle: When working with an online instructor, everything happens instantly. No travel logistics, packing your suitcase, waiting for transportation, etc.. Just login and begin!
4) Improved Focus/Quality Assurance & Feedback: Learning is made easier by eliminating distractions, which typically come along with attending traditional class settings. Additionally, when interacting with your virtual instructor, he can gauge your understanding as accurately as possible.
5) Additional Benefits With Our Private Tutoring Service: We understand that paying for tuition privately can sometimes pose challenges. However, with TutorOne Academy we strive to ensure affordability is never compromised for families wanting to enroll their wards in our programs. To learn more about private online tutoring services, please visit our online tutoring services page for more information. We have lots more tips about how online tutoring can help your students, read on and enjoy the benefits and flexibility of online tutoring!
Cost of Private Tutoring Broken down by Companies
To put things into perspective, a senior math tutor for grade 11 math can cost up to $75/hour.
Private tutoring rates by Individual Tutors
If you rather wish to reach out to different individual tutors and find out about their expertise on your own, you can do so using the following websites below. It is advised that you ask for proof of whatever they claim to have (their university transcripts, references, police checks etc.) since you it is the first time you are making contact with this individual and they have not been checked by a private company.
- Kijiji – If you have all the time on your hands and want to save money, you can probably find the cheapest tutors on Kijiji. Expect to pay anywhere from $25-50/hour depending on the confidence, experience level of the tutor, and the subject difficulty.
Note that Kijiji does not check the background of their tutors. It is even possible to see ads from students who are not enrolled in any post-secondary institution. Anyone with a computer/phone or internet access can post ads on Kijiji.
Private Tutoring Rates by Type (Online vs In-Home Tutoring)
Firstly, on average, you usually pay more than Kijiji tutors for anyone on one tutoring session. This is not set in stone, but if they’re a reputable company that takes time to better improve their tutors on a 1-on-1 level, then you’re looking to pay anywhere from $45 to $75 an hour for professional in-home private tutoring. Keep in mind that, due to COVID-19, most agencies, including TutorOne do not offer in-home private tutoring services.
COVID-19 Rates – Online Tutoring
Coronavirus has certainly affected most, if not all areas of our daily lives. Previously, in-home tutoring was the primary way of delivering quality instruction, and both parents and students preferred this method due to its obvious advantages. I mean, what can be better than having a private tutor come to your home to teach your child, on-one-one, with no distractions?
Most private tutoring agencies, including TutorOne, have shifted from in-home to online methods. Does this mean bad news for your child (children)? Not necessarily. Online tutoring in Canada, if done properly, comes with its own advantages such as recording lessons and increased responsibility of your kids. Check out our newly posted article on Online Tutoring in Ontario for more information.
Back to the cost. One would expect them to drop since agencies no longer have to pay for tutors’ transportation fees and their travel time.
However, there is no significant drop in the cost of virtual tutoring due to the following:
- Technology, including the hardware and software, is not cheap and costs agencies extra $
- Online instruction is harder for tutors due to the challenges (physical restrictions, student distractions etc.) associated with it
Cost of Private Tutoring Broken Down by Subject
On average private math tutoring, Computer Science and Engineering tutoring services are the most expensive subjects to get tutored for in Toronto (at the university level). Generally, Math and Physics in-home tutoring sessions are priced higher than chemistry, biology or English/ESL tutoring services. This pricing is heavily dependent on the experience of the tutor needed to effectively explain difficult math and physics subject in a fashion that breeds learning and understanding. For elementary school tutoring, generally speaking, the cost is relatively consistent for all subjects.
Math Tutoring Services
– Both private and online math tutoring services (including sessions at math learning centres) in the Greater Toronto Area average around $60/hour. Proper math foundations are essential at every educational level.
University Calculus Tutoring
– This and essay writing are two of the most common areas undergraduates seek Tutors for. The cost of University calculus tutoring at the post-secondary level averages around $75/hour.
Advanced Science Tutoring Services (Chemistry & Physics)
– The cost of private science tutoring services will vary by difficulty of the course in question. It is safe to say that the average private science tutoring agency charges $65/hour. At TutorOne we provide you with high quality chemistry, biology, physics and general science tutoring services for a fraction of the price.
– In Canada, ESL tutoring services are usually more expensive than regular English tutoring for elementary or high-school students. Adult ESL tutoring services usually averages to that of advanced university level History, English and Essay Writing tutoring services. Both TutorOne and ExamReady2Day offer ESL help to individuals in need. The cost for these services can range anywhere from $60 to 80/hour.
Ranging from $45 to $60/hour, these services can be provided for children in elementary and high schools of Ontario, BC and Alberta, as well as other provinces in Canada.
Private Tutoring Broken Down by Difficulty
Generally, not all tutoring sessions are the same. Private Tutoring is special in that the degree of difficulty is heavily dependent on the personal needs of the student and the tutor’s ability to effectively meet those needs, and all other concerns that would arise. Consequently, at Tutor One we offer Free in-home assessments to remove any bias from private tutoring by connecting your student with the best tutor that has been trained to meet their needs and match their personalities.
Difficulty of in-home and private tutoring at the subject level increases with age and course material. For example, an undergraduate calculus tutor is expected to have mastered the more advanced parts of calculus or related mathematics and be able to apply it in a manner that promotes understanding and growth to a university level student. Because there is a high academic level of mastery required to successfully tutor a university calculus student, the hourly wage for most university and post-secondary private and online tutors is higher than regular high-school or elementary math tutoring services.
Private Elementary School Tutoring:Private tutoring for elementary school tutoring is heavily dependent on the level of tutoring required. Generally, for a good private tutor this can be anywhere between $45/hr and $55/hr.
Cost of Special Needs Tutoring:
Special needs tutoring requires highly patient, really experienced tutors in order to meet the demands of the students properly. A person with non special needs experience can still tutor children
High School Tutoring:Private High School tutoring increases with subject and difficulty. On average, the highest private in-home high school tutoring services are for grade 12 AP/IB subjects like AP Calculus, Chemistry, Biology & Physics. Most university and college-level private high school tutoring services in Canada can range anywhere between $54/hr and $64/hr.
University Tutoring:Generally, university-level tutoring cost is 1-2 times higher than regular and advanced level high school tutoring. At TutorOne, all private university-level Tutoring begins at $49/hour. The industry standard for private tutoring services ranges from $65 all the way up to $175 hourly depending on the subject area tutored and the qualifications of the tutor in question.
Cost of Private Tutoring for Standardized Tests
Standardized test prep is quite expensive, if anything, it is probably the most expensive tutoring option in the market. However, one on one tutoring is the most effective method for a lot of people so therefore it is worth paying for it as long as you know how to maximally benefit from it.
- MCAT Tutoring in Toronto and rest of Canada
MCAT test prep is no easy-peasy stuff. It is the most widely accepted medical school admission test in the whole world, especially in North America. If you want to get anything above 515, you are going to have to work really hard to accomplish this.
When it comes to the cost, Canada & US, you are looking at anywhere from $100 to $250/hour depending on what kind of tutor you are working with. Company tutors will have a set price based on a package that you purchase in advance – they will offer webinars, seminars, test materials and one on one tutoring. If you just benefit from one on one tutoring and you don’t want any of the fluff, you can do so by finding a private tutor who will customize everything for you. Check out https://examready2day.com for more information on their MCAT tutoring.
- GMAT Tutoring in Ontario and the rest of Canada
GMAT, a lot of people’s biggest fear. This monstrous, logic based standardized test can be very nerve wracking if one does not know how to prepare for it properly. Most students, especially beginners, will need a lot of guidance at the beginning and this is when tutoring can be the most beneficial. Basically, holding students hand until they can walk on their own, i.e., use the right materials and take practice tests without a tutor.
The cost of GMAT tutoring is very similar to that of MCAT, but slightly cheaper. Professional tutors and companies can charge anywhere from $80 to $180 per hour of tutoring. You should always be smart and use your tutor to the best of your ability. Don’t know how? Contact us, or our affiliate company, ExamReady2day.
- Tutoring Rates for GRE Test Prep
Again, we are looking at business schools. GRE is a more simplified version of GMAT, accepted by most Canadian universities. There are definitely more tutors available for GRE than for GMAT or MCAT. Therefore, the more supply, the lower the cost.
- Tutoring Rates for LSAT Test Prep
In terms of difficulty, LSAT can be an equivalent to GMAT. They even share a lot of commonality in their verbal sections. Some TutorOne GMAT experts can also teach LSAT and Vice Versa. Cost of LSAT tutoring is in the same neighborhood as that of GMAT, $90-200/hour.
- Tutoring Rates for SAT, SSAT, ACT, GED
These subjects are much simpler to instruct and find tutors for than the ones mentioned above. Why? These are post high school requirements for university admissions in the United States predominantly. The cost for SAT, SSAT, ACT, GED tutoring can be anywhere from $60 to 80/hour depending on the company, or individual tutor in question.