At the beginning of every new school year, it is all too easy to feel concerned about the academic success of your child. Indeed, it is the dream of every parent to see their children excel in school and go onto enjoy successful careers. However, your child could also easily fall behind without a solid learning foundation. In fact, thousands of students experience difficulties in handling certain subjects and have to battle with their academic weaknesses every school year.
But there is good news: you do not have to face these worries alone. A professional private tutoring service in Toronto can help your child develop study habits, skills, and confidence they never knew they had. Yes, a tutoring service can make a positive difference in the life of your young one, as a tutor can help reinforce subjects taught in school as well as help the child work independently. Choosing the right private tutoring service in Toronto, however, can be especially challenging. So, what should you look out for in an in-home Toronto tutoring service? How can you choose the best tutoring services in the Greater Toronto Area?
Before we dive into the depth of this guide, we have to set one thing straight. Tutors, like children, are individuals. It is important to consider the individuality of each tutor when hiring someone to assist your child. Additionally, a good tutoring service must have tutors that possess a strong understanding of the subject material and teach the subject effectively.
But what more should you consider when hiring the best private tutoring in the Greater Toronto Area, including educational hotspots in Toronto like Scarborough, Etobicoke or Forest Hill?
Ask for the Toronto Tutor’s Education and Credentials!
When evaluating the options before you, look out for a private Toronto tutoring service with fully trained tutors with relevant post-secondary education credentials. Find out whether or not the in-home and/or online tutoring service is equipped with private tutors who have experience in handling specific subjects where your child needs help. Although the tutor may have not credentials specific to the grade level of your child, it is ideal that you find one with college degrees and specialized tutor training credentials. This will ensure the tutor understands remedial approaches, instructional strategies, and educational approaches that can initiate the best learning outcomes for your child. (A tutor’s job is to help out with more than homework helps you know!)
Do they have Private Tutoring Experience?
Beyond finding tutoring service with tutors that can help a student improve test scores, it is ideal you look out for one with experience in a wide variety of specialties. This will be crucial in helping a learner adopt certain lifestyle changes that will encourage healthy learning habits.
What is their In-Home Tutoring Track Record?
What is the track record of a Greater Toronto tutoring service? Beyond the adverts and perks they offer, what result shave their previous students been able to achieve? The track record of a tutoring service in Toronto is a high value criterion, and it is key to the strengths and capabilities of such service.
What Subjects can this private Toronto tutoring agency provide?
Does the tutoring service offer tutoring for core subjects? Do they provide tutoring for a range of learning skills and subject areas? Find out what subjects, the tutoring service offers; this will give you a better idea about their suitability to the situation of your young one.
What is their approach to Private Tutoring Toronto?
Find out what tutoring approach the tutors in the tutoring agency employ. Look out for tutoring services that implement an active learning approach to teach learning skills rather than drill-and-kill methods, to guide a student to achieve educational success in school.
Ask Yourself These 6 Key Questions When Finding the Best GTA Private Tutoring Program for Your Child
A good private tutoring service should have a program that fits the unique learning needs of a learner. Before enrolling your child in a tutoring service program, consider the following questions:
1. What are your child’s needs?
Where is your child struggling? Is it a particular subject? Or with a certain skill? Knowing the areas your child need improvements will help you choose a tutoring service with the best program –one that will have the most impact on your young one’s learning.
2. What are your child’s goals?
Setting clear goals you would like your child to achieve will help you decide the tutoring service with the best program that can help your child reach those goals. This could be improving his or her organization skills or getting better in a specific subject by a letter grade.
3. How Does your Child Learn Best?
Some students prefer visual study aids and analogies, while others learn better with hands-on learning. Choose a private tutoring Toronto service that employs a program that takes into account the preferred learning style of your child. Whatever the case, look for an in-home tutoring service that incorporates active and engaging lessons. This will make learning periods fun so your child can learn in an exciting environment.
3. How can a private tutor help?
Academic struggles – and unhelpful teachers – can set up an appalling cycle. Over time, the student feels disappointed, experiences increased stress, then confidence starts to wane, then the learner starts declining academically, and the cycle goes. A dedicated private tutor can help break that awful cycle. Not only will the tutor ensure the problem areas are addressed, but the student will learn to manage challenges more effectively. Breaking this chain of shame and insecurity for a young learner can empower such one tremendously, as he/she will be able to adopt lifestyle changes, habits, and improvements that will help them excel in school.
4. Does your child have any special learning needs?
Dyslexia and ADHD are some of the learning exceptionalities young ones have. Happily, the stigma associated with these challenges have gradually been abandoned. Better still, there is a tremendous amount of information that can help parents and students find a path towards educational excellence despite the issues a student may have. A good private tutoring agency in Toronto should have tutors with full understanding of every learning exceptionality, so they can offer study skills and strategies that will not only get the student through elementary school, high school or university; but help such one achieves amazing academic results.
5. How can the tutor’s personality help your child?
Personality is very important. At TutorONE, we implement a tutor system that connects students with a tutor who is the best possible fit. It is crucial for a learner and tutor to connect. It not only helps a learner de-stress and relax, but helps them concentrate as well. Tutoring is a collaborative effort. For the success of the tutoring effort and a student’s learning, everyone involved will have to work as a team – and this includes even the parents.
It is only normal for parents to be selective about the private tutoring service they work with. While a high school graduate with skills in a particular subject area may get the job done, it is ideal to work with a specialized tutoring service with tutors who possess many great skills that go beyond specific academic areas. Having a good understanding of the complex aspects of student life can help a student improve not only in a single subject but develop as a person.
For this improvement to take place, skills, experience, and training are important qualities a tutor must possess.
Here are 3 additional factors to consider when choosing a private tutoring Toronto service:
Gender. It may make a difference at young ages!
- Younger children are usually more open to a learning context; they are not so concerned about the sex of their tutor, but the interest and tutoring approach. Generally, women are generally more effective when tutoring younger children. In addition to mimicking what these young ones are used to in their educational atmosphere, a mother-like teacher could also help them maintain their comfort levels as well as initiate the best outcomes. Older students, on the other hand, have had experiences with both men and woman tutors. Hence, a student’s preference will likely be based on the positive and negative experiences they have had with both genders. Querying their preference and interest is key to finding a private tutoring service with expert tutors that can increase the engagement and learning of the student.
Age. What is the Age of the assigned private tutor?
- Tutors come from a variety of age groups. While some may still be furthering their teaching careers, others areas include the end of a masters or PhD, while some are still studying at a university. Younger students have specific needs in terms of the engagement level and the tutoring approach, so it is best to hire a tutor with adequate experience in working with students of this age range. They will require a variety of opportunities and teaching aids – and these are best supplied by the teacher for their development.
- Older students are usually more flexible, responding well to tutors of varying age groups. A small age gap between a tutor and a student can be a great way to improve their understanding of a subject area or curriculum. Alternatively, a well-experienced tutor can draw from their wealth of ideas and creativity to produce super outcomes that they have been able to achieve through years of practice. At TutorONE, we have the best of both worlds. We understand that the need of every child is unique, so we only provide parents with tutors that are best suited to the needs of their children.
Scheduling & Conflicts.
- What is your child’s Schedule? – It is wise to consider how a tutoring service program fits into your child’s schedule. Work with one that has a flexible program, allowing you create a schedule that is convenient for both you and your young one.
- Whether your child is sinking into the middle of Newton’s laws, befuddled about the rules of elementary grammar, or lost in the little details of learning French , you need to act quickly to prevent your child from falling behind the class without any hope of a recovery. TutorONE is a Toronto-based private tutoring service designed to give students the best possible learning foundation and start to life. We are redefining tutoring in Toronto, providing students with the required attention for their development.
Best Private In-Home Tutoring Services in the Greater Toronto Area.
What’s more, we are equipped with the best certified STEM and language tutors in Toronto and GTA, offering tutorials on subjects such as Math, English, Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), and French. Tutoring requires increased responsibility; tutors at TutorONE give students personalized and attainable objectives that help them master a subject. They are also very knowledgeable in instructing the right skills and helping students gain mastery over essential skills.
Happily, our tutoring system is designed to allow parents measure the progress of their young ones. With these periodic reports, parents are not only able to evaluate their child’s level of progress, but ensure the child is comfortable with the ongoing process. You can rest assured your child’s improvement is our priority; we are always open to check-ins and progress reports on your child.